Last updated January 2021.
Personal information is any information about an identifiable individual (“Personal Information”). Neptune recognizes the sensitivity of Personal Information, and that Personal Information should only be collected, used, disclosed, and retained for legitimate purposes and must be handled with care and respect. In doing so, we are committed to protecting your right to have your Personal Information collected, used and disclosed transparently and responsibly.
A. COLLECTION AND USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION GENERAL
How We Collect Information
Neptune collects and uses Personal Information in a lawful manner and only when it is reasonably necessary to do so for the provision of requested services, products, or information or as may be required or permitted by applicable laws. This information is generally provided voluntarily by an individual when applying for our services, purchasing products, or communicating with Neptune online or otherwise. The collected Personal Information will be used for the stated purpose, or for such other purposes to which the customer may later consent.
Neptune’s Collection and Use of Personal Information
Neptune may use an Individual’s Personal Information as follows:
- Visit our Websites: In order to access our Websites, we may require you to enter your date of birth and jurisdiction of residence to verify that you are the age of majority in your jurisdiction of residence in order to meet regulatory requirements.
- Purchase Products or Services: If you purchase a product or service through our Websites, we (or our authorized third-party payment processor) collect your payment information (including billing address, credit card number, expiry data and CVV code) in order to process the transaction.
- Marketing Communications: You may sign-up to receive email marketing communications such as newsletters and special offers on products and services by providing us with your name and email address. You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the “unsubscribe” link included at the bottom of each email. Alternatively, you can opt-out of receiving email marketing communications by contacting us at the contact information provided in the “Contact Us” section below. Please note that you may continue to receive transactional or account-related communications from us.
- Feedback: We may collect and use customer feedback about our products and services to better understand our customers and enhance our product and service offerings.
- Interactive Services: We collect information when you post a review, or share information with other users on our Websites or through social media. We may also collect a username under which your review or comments will be posted. Your review may also be made publicly available on the website. Please exercise caution before sharing any Personal Information.
- Tailoring our Websites: Neptune may also collect demographic and profile data and may use such data to tailor and enhance your experience on the Websites and to display the Websites’ content according to your preferences.
- Surveys and Customer Research: In order to improve our processes, products, and service offerings, Neptune may from time to time offer you the opportunity to participate in one of our surveys or other customer research. The information obtained through the surveys and customer research is used in an aggregated and non-personally identifiable form (“Aggregated Data”). The purposes for which we use this data include, without limitation, better understanding the needs and wants of our customers and users.
- Careers: If you apply for a job with Neptune, you may provide us with certain Personal Information about yourself, such as information contained in a resume, cover letter, or similar employment-related materials. We use this information for the purpose of processing and responding to your application for current and future career opportunities.
- Contact Us: When you contact us with a comment, question or complaint through live chat, email, telephone, or the contact us form on our Websites, you may be asked for information that identifies you, such as your name, email address and a telephone number, along with additional information we need to help us promptly answer your question or respond to your comment. We may retain this information to assist you in the future and to improve our customer service and service offerings.
- Call Recording: We may monitor and record our telephone conversations with you for training and quality assurance purposes. You will be provided with a notice at the beginning of any call that is being recorded. If you do not wish to have your call recorded, please let us know.
B. PERSONAL ACCESS
You are entitled, with certain legal restrictions, to access, update, correct and review your Personal Information in our custody and control. Such legal restrictions include, without limitation, where the information contains Personal Information of third parties or is subject to solicitor-client privilege. We will respond within a reasonable timeframe to all such requests for access and revision and either provide access to the Personal Information or, if permissible, explain why access is denied.
Accurate Personal Information is required for efficient and effective delivery of products and services. You may contact the Privacy Officer using the contact information provided above to modify or correct any Personal Information. Corrections will be made within a reasonable timeframe.
Requests for access to Personal Information should be made to our Privacy Officer by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
C. SHARING OF PERSONAL INFORMATION GENERAL
Neptune does not, sell, rent or disclose your Personal Information to third parties without your consent, except as described below or as required or permitted by applicable law.
- Service Providers: Your Personal Information may be transferred (or otherwise made available) to third parties that provide services on our behalf. We use service providers to provide services such as hosting the Website, processing payments and orders, providing advertising and marketing services, and providing professional advice. Our service providers are only provided with the information they need to perform their designated functions and are not authorized to use or disclose Personal Information for their own marketing or other purposes.
- Legal and Compliance: We and our Canadian, US and other foreign service providers may disclose your Personal Information in response to a search warrant or other legally valid inquiry or order, or to another organization for the purposes of investigating a breach of an agreement or contravention of law or detecting, suppressing or preventing fraud, or as otherwise may be required or permitted by applicable Canadian, U.S. or other law or legal process, which may include lawful access by US or foreign courts, law enforcement or other government authorities. Your Personal Information may also be disclosed where necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims and to investigate or prevent actual or suspected loss or harm to persons or property.
- Sale of Business: We may transfer any information we have about you as an asset in connection with a proposed or completed merger, acquisition or sale (including transfers made as part of insolvency or bankruptcy proceedings) involving all or part of Neptune or as part of a corporate reorganization or other change in corporate control.
- Researchers: From time to time, Neptune may request your consent to use or disclose Personal Information for research purposes. This may include, without limitation, invitations to complete surveys or participate in studies to be conducted by Neptune or a third party. Neptune will not use or disclose Personal Information for such research purposes without your express consent, which may be withheld or denied without consequence to you.
D. INFORMATION ABOUT OUR WEBSITE
- Visiting our Website: We collect the IP (Internet protocol) addresses of all visitors to our Websites and other related information such as page requests, browser type, operating system and average time spent on our Websites. We use this information to help us understand our Websites activity and to monitor and improve our Websites.
- Cookies: Our Websites use a technology called “cookies”. A cookie is a tiny element of data that our Websites send to a user’s browser, which may then be stored on the user’s hard drive so that we can recognize the user’s computer or device when they return. You may set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie or to not accept certain cookies. However, if you decide not to accept cookies from our Websites, you may not be able to take advantage of all of the Websites’ features.
- Analytics: We may use a third party such as Google Analytics to help us gather and analyze information about the areas visited on the Websites (such as the pages most read, time spent, search terms and other engagement data) in order to evaluate and improve the user experience and the Websites. For more information or to opt-out using the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on, see “How Google uses data when you use our partners’ sites or apps” and “Google Analytics and Privacy”.
E. DATA TRANSFERS AND SAFEGUARDS
- Security: Neptune has implemented reasonable administrative, technical and physical measures in an effort to safeguard the Personal Information in our custody and control against theft, loss and unauthorized access, use, modification and disclosure. We restrict access to Personal Information on a need-to-know basis to employees and authorized service providers who require access to fulfil their job requirements.
F. Your Choices
As indicated above, if you have signed-up to receive our marketing communications, you can unsubscribe any time by clicking the “unsubscribe” link included at the bottom of the newsletter. Alternatively, you can opt-out of receiving our marketing communications by contacting us at the contact information under “Contact Us” below.
G. Contact Us
Neptune Wellness Solutions Inc.
Attention: Privacy Officer
100–545 Promenade du Centropolis
Laval, Québec H7T 0A3
Any complaints received regarding Neptune’s or its service providers’ use or handling of Personal Information will be investigated within a reasonable timeframe. Upon concluding the investigation, the Privacy Officer will respond to the complaint and, if necessary, Neptune will take appropriate measures to rectify the situation and maintain compliance with applicable law.